There are some very simple things you can do to support the vaquita conservation effort, ranging from just spreading the word to using your buying power when shopping for seafood.
- Tell all your friends! It is very important that everybody knows about the vaquita and what is happening in Mexico. Not only does that put pressure on the Mexican government to act, but it also raises awareness for some of the issues that not only affect vaquita, but porpoises in general and countless other species as well. Tell everyone who will listen about the vaquita’s plight and don’t stop until the vaquita is safe!
- Shop for sustainable seafood! Entanglement in fishing nets is what is driving this species to extinction, and it is also the most dangerous threat for all 6 of the other species. You can help by making sustainable choices when buying seafood. There are programs to help you make that choice, such as Seafood Watch in the United States or SeaChoice or Ocean Wise in Canada.
- Avoid Mexican shrimp! Conservation organizations from around the world have issued a call to boycott shrimp caught in Mexico. The goal of that campaign is to put immense pressure on Mexico to encourage the government to step up its enforcement efforts in the Sea of Cortez.
- Support the Gulf of California! You can help establish tourism around the Sea of Cortez as an alternative to fishing by choosing the area as your holiday destination! There are lots of socioeconomic problems in Mexico, so your tourism dollars can do some good and help transform the region.
- Tell the Mexican government to step up its actions! Mexico needs to hear from you. You can contact the Mexican president and ask him to step up efforts to conserve the species. Send your letter to:
Sr. Enrique Peña Nieto
Presidente Constitucional de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos
Presidencia de la República, Residencia Oficial de los Pinos
Co. San Miguel Chapultepec 11850, México, D.F., México
- Donate to conservation efforts! Help us and the many other organizations raising awareness and contributing to research and conservation efforts for the vaquita by making a donation. If you would like to support our campaign, please consider adopting a vaquita (or one of the other 6 species) — that also makes a great gift (and in the process you get to spread the word!).